Thursday, March 15, 2012

A Wind in the Door

I love Madeleine L'Engle. In fact, I remember crying on September 6, 2007 when I found out she'd passed away.

I can't say what it is that I love so much about her - perhaps it's the way she makes it look so easy, or her gentle and virtuous characters that are such a pleasure to read. Perhaps it all began on that first line of A Wrinkle in Time: 


"It was a dark and stormy night." That stuck with me for seven years.

"Weeeee!"


When I pick up A Wind in the Door, it's always lovingly. I think one of the things I love most about L'Engle is her ability to introduce fantastic elements so frankly as to make the reader feel as if nothing alarming is going on. It's a trait I greatly admire, and one I hope to someday emulate.

She can write anything, and the reader will never one put the book down, brow creased in confusion, saying, "what?" On top of that, she never once has to justify herself. She gives you a character, and says only what she has to, and by the end of the encounter you feel as if you've known them for years. It's amazing.

On top of that, her prose is so smooth, so effortlessly fluid, that I am able to immerse myself completely in the novel and it takes no effort at all. That is mainly what this post is about - I suposse I should've retitled it "Tips for Good Writing, according to the works of the Late Ms. L'Engle."


No comments:

Post a Comment