Thursday, March 15, 2012

Brave New World

After reading Brave New World I've become quite fascinated with dystopian novels. It's very interesting to read about societies so controlled and different from my own, and the psychology behind it - it really makes sense, although it could never be right. It's also incredible when you realize how easily people can be conditioned. We want  patterns. We hate responsibility. To have all that taken away, to operate at a level best suited to you, with minimal attachments - some people would probably love a chance like that.

"Oh, I love it when the kids play their sex games together." (IT'S FROM THE BOOK OKAY)

What struck me about Brave New World was how ahead of his time Huxley was. I felt like I was reading something so closely contemporary (this is kind of a side note, not really cohesive to the point.

Novels such as these hit on interests we sometimes bury so deep we don't even realize they're there: the desire to give up control, to fit in with familiar and comforting patterns, to belong to a cohesive whole. when we read about it, we are able to experience it without actually experiencing it, and that gives us enough excitement.

Then afterwards, we can breathe a little sigh of relief that's it's just fiction. Then we start to get a little paranoid about just how much that pesky government's hiding....

...and he's judging you SO hard right now.



1 comment:

  1. I read this book too and loved it as well. I think you make some interesting points about wanting what we shouldn't have. However, I think it's also important to consider that in this novel, Huxley creates a society that take away our choice, but it was by our own choice that we did this. It might be saying that we find this so appalling because our morals tell us so, but our morals were given to us by our society. So would this really be that wrong, if we lived in that society? I think not. I'm not saying I agree with this way of life, I think it's variety that causes progress. But I think it's an interesting concept/theme to pursue when reading this type of novel. The people aren't acting WRONG, in fact they're acting perfectly CORRECT in their way of life.

    (P.S. "Go, Go Spencer, Go, Go, Go Spencer!!") ahaha

    ReplyDelete