Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Sea-Fever

I must go down to the seas again,
to the lonely sea and the sky,
And all I ask is a tall ship
and a star to steer her by;
And the wheel's kick and the wind's song
and the white sail's shaking,
and a grey mist on the sea's face, and
a grey dawn breaking

I must down to the seas again,
for the call of the running tide
Is a wild call and a clear call
that may not be denied; And all I ask is a windy day
with the white clouds flying,
And the flung spray and the brown spume,
and the sea-gulls crying.

I must down to the seas again,
to the vagrant gypsy life,
To the gull's way and the whale's way
where the wind's like a whetted knife;
And all I ask is a merry yarn
from a laughing fellow-rover,
And quiet sleep and a sweet dream
when the long trick's over.
- John Masefield

I chose this poem for recitation because it stood out in sharp contrast from the thousands of options made available by Poetry Out Loud. The moment I saw it I wanted to make it my own - I wanted to burn it into my mind and my soul, and keep it always. This decision was new for me, as someone who tends to be drawn towards themes of romance and mysticism - I am a die-hard Yeats and Eliot fan. This poem is both straightforward and painful because it speaks to me on a personal level. Someone very close to me is answering the call of the sea, as it were, and I will not see them for a very long time come summer. In a lot of ways, I feel that the water is truly where they belong. You see, I needed this poem. I needed it to make myself try to understand. To let go. And, in my own way, to cope.

2 comments:

  1. have you read The Seafarer? It makes me shudder with its grief and obsession...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, and I know exactly what you mean! Poems about the sea always seemed to be filled with a type of longing..the feelings they evoke are always so awesome and at the same time so hard to describe. Like Yeats' The Rose of Battle:

    "...You, too, have come where the dim tides are hurled
    Upon the wharves of sorrow, and heard ring
    The bell that calls us on; the sweet far thing.
    Beauty grown sad with its eternity
    Made you of us, and of the dim grey sea.
    Our long ships loose thought-woven sails and wait,
    For God has bid them share an equal fate;..."

    Conclusion: SEA IMAGERY IS THE BEST

    ReplyDelete